Welcome to the City of Savanna, Illinois on the Web!
Are you a United States Penitentiary employee looking to be hired or relocated to the AUSP Thomson, IL location?
To View PDF Version and Print this Information Click Here
Savanna is located along the banks of The Mississippi River and picturesque bluffs of Carroll County.
Savanna is a part of the very active consolidated school district of West Carroll and is proud to support THE THUNDER WAY.
We have community minded families, volunteer organizations, churches and local businesses. There are many reasons to
choose the City of Savanna and Carroll County to become your new home. Let me share a few.
- Safe and secure small town community located on The Mississippi River along Pool 13 with three public river ramps within the City limits.
- Savanna Park District promotes and maintains Marquette Park, The Savanna Marina, 6th Street Park, and Old Mill Park.
- Home of The Mississippi Palisades State Park. A 2500 acre park with trails, camping, fishing/boating, hiking, picnicking, and rock climbing.
- Public Schools - Consolidated school district with strong teachers, administrators and students. Savanna hosts West Carroll Elementary.
For more information visit www.wc314.org.
- Shopping & Recreation includes: a fitness center, a jeweller, down town retail shops, local florists, a local radio station, plus
shopping opportunities that include a Shopko, Dollar General, locally owned supermarket, hotel/motels, and B&B's.
- Entertainment: several local taverns and pubs including a motorcycle museum, a movie theatre, performing arts venues, cafés, pizza parlors, and The Savanna Cultural Center.
- Medical amenities: 2 pharmacies, local eye doctor, dentist, chiropractor, and a FHN location all within Savanna. About 20 minutes from Mercy Hospital, a full service facility with an emergency department.
- Affordable and higher end housing available for sale and rent with several subdivisions with lots available to build.
- Pride shines throughout Savanna and is evident in our residential areas and business district.
Any questions or want a tour of Savanna and the area, please contact City Hall or Mayor Tony McCombie at 815.273.2251.
The Savanna Chamber of Commerce at 815.273.2722 can also provide additional information to make you more secure in your decision to become a part of our family.
See you soon!!
Mayor Tony McCombie
We are located in Carroll County Illinois along the Mississippi River at
the mouth of the Plum River. Going from north to south, the second automobile bridge between Iowa and Illinois is located just north of Savanna, and is
part of the U.S. Highway 52 route. The bridge leads to Sabula, Iowa, which is across the river from Savanna. U.S. Highway 52 goes through Savanna. Several miles to the South of us is Thomson Illinois seen quite a bit in the news recently where the Thomson Prison is located.
Thinking of Relocating?
Housing is far cheaper in a small town than it is in a large city. The same amount of money can buy you a huge, spacious place in a small town, while it will buy you a one-bedroom tiny flat in a city - which is fine for a young couple, but once you start a family and have children, it is much nicer if they grow up in a house with rooms to themselves. Click here to learn more about small town living and to contact our local realtors.
Or use the Living in Savanna link on our menu above for even more information.
Click here for Thomson Correctional Facility Relocation Information.
Savanna is called a Sportsman's Paradise!
Savanna is located just south of the Mississippi Palisades State Park
and you will find hunting, hiking, bike trails, rock climbing, fishing and much more. Savanna is just 150 miles straight West of Chicago, Illinois and is a great place for
a weekend trip!
Plan your next family outing in the Savanna area and get close to nature with the miles of hiking and bike trails. Bring your boat and enjoy a day of fishing on
the Mississippi River. Or how about a weekend of camping at the Palisades State Park?
Savanna residents, you will find many tools to keep you informed and allow you to be interactive with the City Management
You can see what is coming up on the on-line city calendar. There is a lot of information that you can use as well as
many forms that you can complete and submit live on-line in this website.
We hope to make this the website current with so much good information that you may want to make your
What's Happening Around Savanna The Coming 30 Days?